ST GEORGE TOMB, LOD (LYDDA)
The monastery is located at Eliyahu Galomb St, Lod, Israel.
St. George, the most important soldier-saint in the Christian tradition, was born in Lod (Lydda). His remains are kept in the crypt of the Greek-Orthodox church. The church was first constructed in the Byzantine period, rebuilt by the Crusaders, and rebuilt during the late Ottoman period.
St. George church is located in the old section of the modern city of Lod. The church, and the adjacent el-Omari mosque, are located near Khan Hilu - the ruins of a Ottoman period inn. To the east and north of St. George was the location of the ancient city of Lod/Lydda, but few remains were left. The Biblical city was located further to the northeast, on the south bank of Nahal Ayalon stream.
The construction of the present building was completed in 1893. It embedded earlier elements of the Crusaders period fortified church, which protected the road from Jaffa to Jerusalem. The Crusader church was built on the ruins of an earlier Byzantine church.
The Tomb of St George was the resting place of his Holy Relics however it is now empty as the Holy Relics have been distributed around the world. The Tomb is venerated by both Christians and Muslims. Oil and myrrh are poured on the top as a Tama to the saint and given out as a blessing to pilgrims.
There are two sets of iconostasis and alter tables in the church.
The photo on the left are Holy Relics of St George situated in front of the iconostasis and the photo above are the chains that were used to secure St George in jail. The chains can be taken out of the box and placed on pilgrims as a blessing.
The monastery is located at Eliyahu Galomb St, Lod, Israel. Click on the map to zoom in.